Friday, October 22, 2021

Introduction and what is coming next

 Greetings venerable visitor! I planned to start using this blog again over a year ago, when I decided to join the Crown of Command Challenge. Yet, it didn't exactly work out, and here we are at the end of 2021.

Still, another edition of the Crown of Command Challenge will begin next year, and I also applied to the Gathering of Mighty Painters, that shall start 2 January 2022, but cleaning/priming/basing work can commence already.

I started working on my dark elf army at the end of 2020 summer, after finishing few dwarf units that I painted after Oldhammer Weekend Poland rekindled my Herohammer interest. 



I honestly didn't expect that I will stick to the project for so long, but it turns out that podcasts and audiobooks make wonders for my painting tenacity. In the past, I felt that both reading and painting miniatures are sub optimal ways of spending my limited free time. Now thanks to podcasts/audiobooks I can combine those two activities that I liked together, and suddenly I am in love with it:)

What I have painted up until now are the things that I lacked in my dwarf army. Having played an army consisting of warmachines and infantry blocks for the last 23 years (not playing much, but aaaanyway...;) ) meant that I want to use everything else - various cavalry units, monsters, scouts, magic users. I must say that it makes quite a formidable force, that I used with quite nice results in fifth, sixth and seventh edition games already. 




Having said that, I feel that the army deserves to be completed, it is now my most cherished force, and also I like the foot models from the 4 edition dark elf range. So the plan for the next year or two is to finish it, by adding all the other roster entries. Units that are 20-25 models strong are most pleasing to my eyes, so I aim to do regiments of 20 strong. Cutting it down to 20 from 25 means I need to paint around 30 models less, so it is quite a difference...

The plan is simple, I need to paint:

20 Black Guards

20 Executionners

20 Spearmen

20 Crossbowmen

20 Corsairs

20 Witch Elves

This is the most important part of the mission, but there will be some things to spice things up a bit - up to three chariots, up to three repeating bolt throwers, cauldron of blood  and probably a manticore / another unreleased chimera model.

I think I will leave the corsairs for later, as they are my least favourite 4 edition dark elf unit - look wise. 


I will soon add some army fluff, photos of what I currently have painted and dedicated Gathering of Mighty Painters post. That's it for now, thanks for visiting!

No comments: